Every voyage, the Semester at Sea International Field Programs Office works with in-country partners, UWI-Arthur Lok Jack Global School of Business (UWI-ALJGSB), to recruit one to two outstanding university students from select port countries on the voyage itinerary to act as Interport Students (IPS). These students travel to the previous port on the itinerary, board our ship – the MV World Odyssey, and sail with the shipboard community to their port country. Two students were selected from our Bachelor of International and Sustainable Business programme, Julia Harripersad and Okera Duncan. They will sail from Brazil on November 15 to arrive in Trinidad on November 24, 2019.
Julia Harripersad, current student of Bachelor of International and Sustainable Business
Okera Duncan, current student of Bachelor of International and Sustainable Business
The primary role of the IPS is to act as a peer in cultural exchange, and provide shipboard staff and faculty with a native informant deeply familiar with the port country or city. During their time aboard the MV World Odyssey, Julia and Okera may do any or all of the following:
- Participate as a visitor in shipboard courses – offer personal insights from their experience growing up, living, working, and attending school in their home country
- Share meals with student clubs or other members of the shipboard community
- Assist the Field Office and Administrative Team with questions pertaining to their home country
- Give a presentation on a topic of cultural or logistical interest or a topic of their passion / choosing (ex: things voyagers can see and do in port, an upcoming holiday celebration in their home country, an interesting community service initiative at their university, different types of local or regional cuisine, etiquette, etc.)
- Host informal language lessons (if applicable)
- Potentially assist a professor or trip liaison on an excursion during the first two days the ship is docked in their home country (depending upon schedules and professor preference)
Students will benefits from an intercultural academic exchange experience to add to one’s resume/CV as well as have the opportunity to meet peers, experience a different type of university life and culture, and make connections with faculty in a variety of disciplines.
To find out more about our Bachelor of International and Sustainable Business, Call: 645-6700 ext. 200 or email: email@example.com