The IMBDI programme is designed to develop business creators with the mindset to pursue opportunities, creating new businesses.
The IMBDI is directed at students aiming to become entrepreneurs as well as managers or project leaders focused on international business development in existing corporations. The programme aims to prepare students with the different skills required to launch and lead businesses as well as to develop and run businesses or business units with directions towards innovation, international expansion and growth. It will combine courses aimed at building the bridge between university education and practical business activity. To this end the programme will be highly interactive in format and international and interdisciplinary in dimension.
Furthermore, it is designed to produce business creators with the mindset to pursue opportunities, creating new businesses, new products and services within existing companies thereby creating dynamism in the local and regional economies. Although not everyone who completes the programme will become entrepreneurs, graduates from this programme will always be in high demand in areas such as consultancy, consumer goods, energy etc. Indeed any industry that is trying to innovate to be at the forefront of economic activities, now and in the future will value the skill sets of graduate of this programme.
The IMBDI is a 2-year part-time programme, which consists of:
- 13 Core Courses
- 5 Workshops
- 1 Practicum
The academic year is broken into 3 trimesters:
- January – April
- May – August
- September – December
Exams and/or assessments are in April, August, and December.
Traditionally, classes are held on evenings (5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.) and on weekends.
Benefits of the IMBDI
- Become an entrepreneur with a unique understanding of strategy.
- Learn what to innovate and how to innovate, with a customer-centric approach.
- Become an expert designing unique and original business models.
- Get exposed to new technologies that are disrupting markets and traditional businesses and are re-defining the competitive space.
- By being exposed to human sciences, you will be capable of developing key insights about the customers’ hearts and minds.
- You will learn how to craft an innovative, global business venture.
- You will learn how to present your new value proposition and business plan to angel and institutional investors.
- World-class Faculty: Internationally recognized academicians and practitioners to ensure that your experience is a dynamic, practical and relevant one.
- International Study Trip: Students will have the opportunity to visit and observe best practices internationally.
Benefits of the Lok Jack GSB
- Globally accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA)
- Locally accredited by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT)
- GATE funding available for eligible individuals
- Brilliant and qualified faculty of local and international academics and experts
- Academic faculty who have completed extensive research in business education internationally
- Practitioners who are business owners with successful operations and expansions in many territories
- Dedicated faculty who facilitate learning and ensure you have grasped concepts for each area of business in this specialty
Premium Student Experience
- Access to UWI-Lok Jack GSB’s community of more than 2,000 alumni
- Mentorship opportunities with prominent alumni
- Networking opportunities
- International Study Trips
- HigherEd EFMD Global Career Services
- World-class facilities available for study, research, and recreation
- Additional access to the UWI, St. Augustine’s facilities
Designed to create business creators with the mindset to exploit new opportunities.
Prospective candidates for the Masters programme must possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with at least Lower Second Class Honours or its GPA equivalent in Business or Management, Economics, Engineering, and other related areas or any other professional qualification equivalent to the Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of two years’ working experience. If self-employed, candidates must provide evidence verifying their experience and exposure, subject to approval.
- Completed the requirements for the Postgraduate Diploma in International Business Development and Innovation offered by the Arthur Lok Jack Global School of Business.
Persons without a first degree will not be allowed to enrol directly into the Master programme.
Non-degree route (Postgraduate Diploma):
Who can apply?
- Candidates who do not hold formal university degrees but possess professional and/or academic certification and a record of active professional experience
- Managers, Executives, Business Analysts, Consultants, Business Development Officers and persons involved in the development and expansion of business with the potential to meet the learning requirements of the programme with at least five years’ relevant working experience.
Candidates with a pass degree may be eligible for admittance through the non-degree route based on relevant work experience.
Transition from Postgraduate to Master:
Students who successfully complete the 24 credits of the Postgraduate Diploma may transition directly to the Master without being awarded the Postgraduate Diploma.
Additionally, applicants are required to be computer literate (i.e. Microsoft Proficient and Internet Savvy)
- Entrepreneurship and Business Development
- International and Caribbean Business Environment
- Design Thinking & Innovation
- Preparation for Authentic Learning
- Marketing Management and Innovation
- Product Design and Development
- Business Anthropology (24 hours)
- Product Design and Development (72 hours)
- Financing Growth & Expansion
- Innovating the Value Chain
- Financial & Management Accounting (24 hours)
- Fundamentals of Leadership (92 hours)
- HR Strategies for growth-oriented Firm
- Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurship
- Business Analytics for Growth
- Research Methods (24 hours)
- Managing Networks and Internalization
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Design Strategy & Innovation for Technology-based Ventures
- Practicum Begins
- Spanish for Business Practicum (Complete)
- Practicum Completion